Sunday, May 10, 2009

Have a Happy

Here's hoping all the mothers and other strangers out there have a wonderfully scary Mother's Day filled with burned toast and runny eggs made by a very junior chef, a wobbly, blobbly cup that no one could ever drink out of safely, an ill-wrapped trinket, some personally made jewelry with the letter 'M' on it no matter what your name really starts with, and/or a breathtaking hug.

I believe I committed those crimes on my mother over the years and she swore they were the best presents ever. I'm a bit too old to get away with those any more. These days, it's a store-bought card with someone else's sentiment written on it, which she says makes her tear up, and the call where I spend more time telling her about what I've done than listening to what she's done, which she insists is what she wants to talk about.

Mothers. You have to love them, because they love you.

Watching you from behind my misty mother-memories,
J.C. Koch

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous WKEverhart said...

I suppose we've all given our mother's less than artistic attempts at art, poorly glued trinkets, boxes covered with spray-painted macaroni, and other such items. Thanks for reminding me that I, too, was once a child.

May 14, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home